Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Teachers = Mothers

Few months into the teaching world, I soon realise I am like a mother. A mother to 30 children of many different characters, quirks, intelligence and abilities. After giving this concept further thought, I soon realise that us teachers are different types of mothers towards our children for many different reasons of coz. Our teaching approaches, our social approaches, our discipline approaches all varies from teacher to teacher. However these difference as you would notice are created by choice, according to the preference of the teacher. What I find more intriguing is the differences created by circumstance. Take for example my school and the level I am teaching. There are 7 form teachers in my level:

Class 1/1: Is a mother who have lost custody of her kids (her pupils). Dun get me wrong. She is one of the best and most experienced teacher in school. But she gave birth recently and had to go on merternity leave till the end of the year. Hence she will never see her bunch of darlingz in one class ever again.

Class 1/2: Is a full time mother who does every little thing for her kids. She is the kind of mother that dedicates her life to her kids. Every small detail of their well being and matters of education is looked into and dealt with. Why do I say so? Well you see, this class has the same teacher for every lesson except for mother tongue. Hence they basically see her 80 percent of the time and lucky for them their teacher is one super hardworking and organised lady.

Class 1/3: Is a full time mother who has partial custody of her kids and who is ok with it as she agrees that its best for her kids. I suspect, the kids, though they love her tons, kind of fear her as well and tt time away from her help them to release whatever pent up energy they have when she is around. She is the strict mother! Well of coz she is, she is part of the discipline commitee. I say partial becoz, she do not teach her class PE and mother tongue.

Class 1/4 and 1/7: Are mothers who lost temporary custody of thier kids for a few months and has recently regained it. Now they are trying their best to get to know their kids all over again and discipline them accordingly to restore order in the household. They successfully did within a weeks. Damn they are good. PLUS the kids miss them tons and hence probably more than willing to listen to them.

Class 1/5: Is a mother who has partial custody of her kids. Even less than the form teacher of 1/3. This teacher however do not like the arrangement and would grab any given chance she has to spend more time with her kids. Her kids are just as crazy about her as she is about them. Aaaaaaaawwww so sweet. She btw takes a lot of pictures of her kids...like ALLLLLOOOTT!
Class 1/6: Now this is me the career mother. I have full custody of my kids. I teach everything except for mother tongue, making up 80% of their time. However, unfortunately for my kids, I am sent to a lot of courses and as a result at times, they only see me like 4 times a week. I love my kids tons and I dare say they love me juz as much. At the begining they always whine in my absence (they will ask their god mother, form teacher of 1/5 why I am not around and strt bugging me for answers the next day) but soon they learn to understand. When I am not around, they will juz assume I have classes to attend. They'll say, "Its Tuesday wat, Miss Juliana got class!" So cute! I soon felt guilty for my non attendance and made the effort to rush back to school after my courses to see them off. Even if it was the last ten minutes and they have gotten used to that too. Once I was very late and they juz went, " Miss Juliana you are late! Lucky we have not started singing majulah singapura yet." Hahahhahahahahah.... oh god they are so adorable!

Aniwes thats my take about us teachers in my school. These are not complains btw. I love my job. My kids help buffer whatever pain or worries that I go thru in life. Without them, I'll probably be more miserable! Hee hee...toodles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home