Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Ignorance is bliss

The things that kids can say...if you pay attention to them is truely amazing ...some might even shock you. But all of it has one thing in common. Whatever they say is void malice and coated with pure innocence and lovable ignorance that we adults have lost along the way. Since I am a primary school teacher, I have TONS of cute examples!
Example one:
We teachers have this policy whereby when the class walks to and fro the classroom, the class must always be in two straight lines and there should not be big gaps inetween pupils. At the begining of the school year, my class could not for the love of god walk in straight rows and there will be gaps so big that they look like they belong in 2-4 seprate classes rather than one. Hence naturally I came up with phrases that act as cues for them to rectify these unwanted scenes, such as..."The class has a pet elephant, is that why there is a big gap over there". I used this phrase quite often during the first two weeks and lesser now since they have now learnt the rules. However recently the class sort of forgot and I wasnt in a scolding mood and guess what ...my most talkative boy did it for me ...he went .."Waaaa Bryan, our pet elephant walking infront of you ah...so cute!!!". I was shocked! hahahahah! And the most adorable part was he didnt even know that he was being sarcastic!
Example two:
Another irritating behaviour that my kids had was to loose their water bottles all over school. Each time we return to the classroom there are bound to be a few kids that would come up to me looking all anxious that their precious water bottles are left behind. One day I got so irritated that I blurted out..."If your head is not attached to your neck, you people would loose your heads as well"....and guess what...one kid HAPPILY raised his hand and said, "Ya ya Miss J...some will even loose their eyes!!!" Of course the kid has no clue that he had said the wrong thing! Bloody hell!
Example three:
During the second week of school, I had shifted my most talkative boy from his seat in the middle of the class to the front of my desk. I informed the class that he is migrating from Singapore (his seat with the rest of his group members) to Malaysia which is infront of me. The following day, when we came into class, he went straight to sit at his original place and I heard one of his group member say,"Eh Ryon, you cannot sit in Singapore, Miss J moved you to Malaysia what yesterday" and Ryon said,"Oh ya hor, I sit in Malaysia now..." and he dragged his bag across the classroom which btw he himself called the causeway to his new seat infront of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home